- Animal Care
- Medical Center
- How You Can Help
- News & Events
- About Us
News from the League
- July 21, 2014 Three-Way Partnership Brings Alabama Dogs to WARL
When shelters work together, it’s the animals who win. In this case, the winners are 37 Alabama dogs.
- July 06, 2014 WARL Medical Center Open to All Area Clients and Patients
Help us rescue homeless pets by making WARL Medical Center doctors your veterinarians.
- July 03, 2014 A Centennial History of the Washington Animal Rescue League Available Now!
When your organization is 100 years old, you realize how important your history is. Thanks to the hard work of several dedicated WARL supporters, the organization's history has been documented for everyone to own. This beautiful 88-page, full-color publication chronicles the history of WARL's compassionate care for animals through a seamless blend of words and photographs. You can order your own copy of this special book at the following link: https://secure3.convio.net/warl/site/Donation2;jsessionid=D44B178725201558C87D37240258D7D7.app325b?df_id=3700&3700.donation=form1
- July 01, 2014 WARL Closed for Independence Day Holiday
The Washington Animal Rescue League will be closed to the public on Friday, July 4 to celebrate the national holiday. We will re-open on Saturday at noon.
- June 27, 2014 STARLING WINS BEST IN SHELTER!!!
WARL cats Starling and Bertha finished in first and second place respectively in the 2014 Best in Shelter, Meow Madness Competition! Thanks to all who voted! WARL will earn a very generous grant from Martha Grimes and Best in Shelter! Thanks to everyone who participated and adopt today!!!
- June 21, 2014 WARL Waives Adoption Fees for Adult Cats During June
WARL is celebrating "Adopt a Shelter Cat Month" by waiving adoption fees on all felines 6 months or older.
- June 17, 2014 VOTE TODAY!! HELP WARL CATS BERTHA & STARLING ADVANCE TO THE FINALS OF “BEST IN SHELTER”
Voting in Round Three takes place on Today! Cast your vote for Bertha and Starling at http://www.bestinshelter.org/competition Virtual Cat Show Takes Place June 6 – 26th Online; Winning Cat Earns $35,000 for Shelter
- June 04, 2014 WARL CATS “BERTHA” AND “STARLING” NEED YOUR VOTES IN FIRST ROUND OF “MEOW MADNESS”!
Vote TODAY at http://www.bestinshelter.org ! Two adoptable cats from the Washington Animal Rescue League need your votes in the 2014 Meow Madness, Best in Shelter competition. “Bertha” and “Starling” are competing in the 16-cat competition. Voting in the first round of Meow Madness begins Thursday at 12:01 a.m. and concludes at Thursday 11:59 p.m. To vote, log on to http://www.bestinshelter.org and cast your vote for both Bertha and Starling. The Washington Animal Rescue League is one of eight Washington, DC-area organizations selected to take part in the first “Meow Madness” Virtual Cat Show, to take place online, June 6-26.
- June 03, 2014 A Message to our Kitten Cam fans
A special message for Kitten Cam fans
- May 19, 2014 WARL Centennial Video
We hope you enjoy this video, celebrating the Washington Animal Rescue League's Centennial !WARL Centennial Video
- March 31, 2014 It’s our birthday! Celebrating 100 years of saving lives!
The Washington Animal Rescue League turns 100 years old today!! We're kicking off our centennial year with an event at our facility at noon today with a very special event. Joining us will be dignitaries from the animal welfare world, WARL alumni, special success stories and unique photo opportunities, including a special, "100 Rescued Pets" photo. Mayor Vincent Gray has proclaimed today "Washington Animal Rescue League Day" in the District of Columbia. Wish us a happy birthday with a social media post using the hash tag #WARL100.
- March 28, 2014 WARL Partners with Humane Society International to Rescue 10 Homeless Dogs from Sochi, Russia
The Washington Animal Rescue League, in partnership with Humane Society International, received 10 homeless dogs from Sochi, Russia on Thursday, March 27th. The dogs will be cared for by WARL medical, behavior and shelter staff as they get adjusted to their new temporary homes. WARL will not make the animals available for at least 10 days.
- March 26, 2014 Skyline’s Story
- December 27, 2013 2000! Washington Animal Rescue League Saves 2000 Lives in 2013; Record for 99 Year-Old Organization
2000! Washington Animal Rescue League Saves 2000 Lives in 2013; Record for 99 Year-Old Organization;
- October 04, 2013 Huge Adoption Event! ASPCA Mega Match-a-thon at WARL on Saturday, Oct. 19th
Washington Animal Rescue League will be joined by Montgomery County Humane Society and Washington Humane Society for the 2013 ASPCA Mega Match-a-thon! Animals from all three shelters will be located at Washington Animal Rescue League for one day only! Great opportunity to see pets from all over the region.
- September 30, 2013 WE WON!
WASHINGTON ANIMAL RESCUE LEAGUE WINS DIVISION 1 OF 2013 ASPCA CHALLENGE; ASPCA AWARDS WARL $35,000 GRANT; WARL FINISHES SUMMER-LONG ASPCA $100K CHALLENGE WITH RECORD 808 LIVES SAVED
- July 18, 2013 Meet the Mounties
- July 08, 2013 Second Summer Adopt-a-thon Slated for July 13 & 14
The Washington Animal Rescue League hosts second Adopt-a-thon of the summer on July 13 and 14.
- March 01, 2013 Washington Animal Rescue League to take part in 2013 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100k Challenge
WARL Sets Goal of 800 Animals to be Adopted in Three Month Contest; Community Support Needed for Chance to Win $100,000 Grand Prize and Save More Lives
- November 02, 2012 And the Winner Is…
The results are in...Barrrk has won Paws to Vote with 3,129 votes! But Mitt'ns shouldn't feel bad because by giving Barrrk a run for his money, he helped raise a total of $5,850 that will be used to help all our shelter residents. And, best of all, both candidates found loving homes!
- September 06, 2012 WARL Receives 9 Dogs Homeless Due to Hurricane Isaac
The Washington Animal Rescue League, in partnership with the International Fund for Animal Welfare and ASPCA, received nine dogs today from the Gulf Coast region of Mississippi following severe flooding caused by Hurricane Isaac in the Gulf Coast region.
- August 16, 2012 Pledging for Pets
Longtime League volunteer and contributor Roxanne Perugino was looking for a way to focus her charitable giving...so she made a five-year pledge.
- July 02, 2012 Power Has Been Restored
Power has been restored at the Washington Animal Rescue League and we're open again for business. We can't thank our friends and the local community enough for their generosity during this difficult time! You helped our staff, volunteers, and most imporantly our shelter residents weather the heat safely.
- May 10, 2012 Buster! Special Needs Dachshund Takes Washington by Storm
After being hit by a car and found on a West Virginia roadside, Buster, a dachshund/beagle mix has overcome tremendous odds and adapted so well to his special needs circumstances, he is ready to meet his new family and find a forever home. He is available for potential adopters at the Washington Animal Rescue League in northwest Washington, DC.
- April 11, 2012 Capital Cats Find Home with Windy City Native
Two unrelated lookalike felines bring joy to a Chicago cat lover.
- April 11, 2012 A New Life in the Big Easy
Nearly a year ago 29 small dogs—Yorkshire terriers, miniature poodles, and Maltese—were removed from the home of a “breeder” in Maryland and taken to the county shelter. There they languished for 5 months while the county and the breeder engaged in a legal tug-of-war over custody of these tiny souls.
- February 02, 2012 Take Me Home adoption video
Volunteer Linda Gunter put this moving video together on behalf of all the animals waiting for a home of their own.
- January 31, 2012 When they have nowhere else to go
The League is proud to be an HSUS Emergency Placement Partner! Watch this video!
- January 18, 2012 Arkansas puppy mill survivors recover, begin new lives
When the 102 survivors of an Arkansas puppy mill that was closed during a cruelty investigation arrived, we had our work cut out for us.
- January 02, 2012 New Adoption Hours
Tuesday - Saturday: 12 - 7 pm, Sunday: 12 - 5 pm
- December 21, 2011 Puppy Mill Survivors Arrive at the League
The League is taking in more than 100 puppy mill dogs seized by Arkansas authorities.
- December 15, 2011 League takes in abused hunting dogs from Virginia raid
The League took in 10 hounds seized by Virginia authorities investigatiing an illegal moonshine still.
- December 13, 2011 Washington Capitals Canine Calendars
A benefit for our animals, the calendars feature Capitals players with dogs, some from the League!
- December 05, 2011 Your Photos with Santa
Santa Claus portraits from our open house on December 4 are now available.
- December 02, 2011 ‘Tis the season!
Park Hyatt Washington delivered a generous holiday present to the animals.
- December 02, 2011 League Rescues Poodle Left in a Carrier on a Busy Corner
Blair was found shaking pitifully in a tiny crate on one of D.C.’s busiest thoroughfares.
- October 18, 2011 Homeless Animals Meet Their New Families at an Anniversary Celebration
Friendship Hospital for Animals celebrated its 75th anniversary with an open house and adopt-a-thon for League animals.Over the course of the two-day festival, 65 dogs and cats were adopted.
- September 29, 2011 New video on pit bulls
League volunteer Linda Gunter has made a new video about adopting pit bulls.
- August 18, 2011 Successful Adopt-A-Thon
113 animals find new homes in non-stop, 33-hour adoption event.
- July 20, 2011 Humane Society of the US CEO visits the League
Wayne Pacelle, President & CEO of HSUS, visited the League to discuss his new book, The Bond.
- June 09, 2011 League Team in Joplin, Missouri, after Tornados Devastate Town
The League has been called by the ASPCA to assist at an emergency animal shelter in Joplin, Missouri.
- May 24, 2011 Update on the Alabama Animals
They are on the road to recovery, but it may be a long one.
- May 15, 2011 LEAGUE SAVES DOG, CAT VICTIMS OF ALABAMA TORNADOS
The League is bringing 37 dogs and 5 cats from Alabama to Washington.
- May 05, 2011 League Team Responds to Missouri Floods
Five League employees are in Missouri helping to care for nearly 200 animals left homeless by the flooding.
- March 19, 2011 LEAGUE TAKES IN 30 DOGS FROM OHIO “RESCUE GROUP” ACCUSED OF NEGLECT, INHUMANE TREATMENT
The League took in 30 of the more than 300 dogs whom the ASPCA rescued three weeks ago at the request of the Clark County (Ohio) Humane Society. The dogs were being held in inadequate, cramped quarters, both inside and outside, at a “no-kill” animal shelter called One More Chance Rescue and Adoption in Springfield, Ohio.
- January 21, 2011 Missouri Puppy Mill Survivors Arrive at the League
The League took in 13 Missouri puppy mill dogs surrendered to authorities by breeders who acknowledged they could not care for the dogs properly.
- January 12, 2011 League Placed 2nd in Exemplary Animal Shelter Category
In the 2010 Humanitarian Awards by American Dog Magazine
- December 20, 2010 Adopt a Pet: ABC 7 Live at the League!
Footage from ABC 7's live broadcast of holiday pet adoptions at the League!
- December 19, 2010 Presents for Paws
Now in its 10th year, Presents for Paws collects donations of items in local stores for members of our Rescuer's Food Bank program!
- October 13, 2010 Jesse Eisenberg PSA for the League
You've seen him in the #1 movie, The Social Network, and now he's filmed a PSA for us!!
- September 24, 2010 League’s Work with Vick Dogs Featured in New Book
Jim Gorant's The Lost Dogs about Michael Vick's pit bulls.
- September 20, 2010 From Research Labs to Dogfighting Rings, WARL Welcomes in Abused Animals
Click here to read the article about our very busy weekend
- September 10, 2010 Check Out The League’s Brand New Blog!
http://www.warl.org/blog We are thrilled to launch "Out of Harm's Reach"
- September 01, 2010 DC Police Chief Shares Special Bond With Watson
Click to see NBC Washington's coverage of this special story about Watson and Police Chief Lanier
- August 30, 2010 Tucker Carlson & Ana Marie Cox, Tony Blankley & Eleanor Clift Film Adoption PSAs for the League
Click here to watch our brand new adoption PSAs!
- August 10, 2010 D.C. Police Department and the League Collaborate on Caring Kids Camp
The Caring Kids Camp fosters relationships with animals as a means of encouraging empathy in children and helping them mature into kind, thoughtful, engaged members of the community.
- July 28, 2010 League Welcomes Nine More Dogs From Kuwait
The League is providing shelter, veterinary care, and adoption services to nine dogs evacuated from Kuwait, where summer daytime temperatures climb as high as 140 degrees.
- July 16, 2010 League Featured in Episode of TLC’s New Show: ‘DC Cupcakes’
The ratings are in: 1.16 million viewers on our episode, Cupcakes and Puppies! The Georgetown Cupcake sisters bake us a sheepdog made entirely of cupcakes, which was unveiled at our Gala. It also features one of our adorable puppies finding a new, loving home!
- July 06, 2010 Red, White & Blue Pit Bull Promotion Extended Thru July
Our promotion on pit bulls will now run until July 31!
- June 18, 2010 Living Longer and Better: Advances in Veterinary Medicine
Read CEO Dr. Gary Weitzman's most recent Hill Rag article on Living Longer and Better: Advances in Veterinary Medicine
- May 25, 2010 2009 Annual Report
The events of 2009 seem like distant history, but it was a truly remarkable year. We have captured the major happenings and achievements of a year in the life of the League in the 2009 annual report.
- May 17, 2010 Rescue of Kuwaiti Dogs Now Complete
The League takes in an additional 7 dogs from Kuwait, bringing the total up to 27 rescued.
- April 29, 2010 Living With a Fiesty Fido
Written by one of our trainers about dog-on-dog aggression, published in the Hill Rag.
- April 28, 2010 League Takes In 20 Dogs from Kuwait
After a fire destroys Kuwait's only animal shelter, the League takes in the remaining 20 dogs.
- March 17, 2010 League Takes In 70 Dogs Saved From a “Rescue Organization” in Mississippi
League Provides Refuge to 70 Mange-infested, Skinny Dogs Rescued from a "Rescue Organization" in Mississippi
- March 16, 2010 Shelters Collaborate to Rescue Three Puppies
The League and WHS collaborate on the rescue of three rottweiler puppies.
- March 08, 2010 Fox5 Promotes Our Seniors For Seniors Program
Watch the clip on Fox5 and learn about our new program
- February 02, 2010 Rescue Me Gala 2010
The Washington Animal Rescue League's Rescue Me Gala 2010
- February 01, 2010 “How I…Muzzle the Competition”
The Wall Street Journal wrote an article about the League and our partner, DogCentric
- January 21, 2010 Stop Puppy Mills
Read an article from the League's CEO, Dr. Gary Weitzman, on why puppy mills need to be stopped.
- January 13, 2010 Listen to us on the radio!
The Animal House, with the League's own Dr. Gary Weitzman, airs every Saturday at 7am on WAMU 88.5 FM. Don't miss it!
- January 13, 2010 Winterizing Your Pets
Read the most current Hill Rag article written by the League's CEO, Dr. Gary Weitzman, on winterizing your pets.
Share this on Facbook. more »